Archive for the 'Reflection on Spectacle' Category

23
Oct
09

Trial and Error – Reflection on Spectacle

Somethings work and others don’t!

 

We were given two weeks to produce an artefact that would symbolise our thoughts and lines of research into spectacle. My two weeks comprised of following one idea and whilst researching that one trying out another. I tried to lay down detailed plans and ideas to show a line of progression as my head is constantly full of ideas and this year one of my goals is to be more practical with the work I am doing as research can only lead you so far and ideas can be a game of trial and error.

The first project idea I started working on involved looking at the spectacle of the fair, but from a different view point. I wanted to capture things that the nakid eye could not. This started off really well. I took time to decided what I wanted to capture, spent three days planning, taking images and gathering sounds and really enjoyed doing it.

I found the practical work really easy as I took it step by step, althought time consuming worth doing it slowly rather than rushing it. I foudn it difficult to get the sound on occasions as I had forgotten how to use the recording device. I need to work with the sound I have collected but I will have to normalise the sound as some of it is at different levels. I am not sure what I cna use to do that. I did not also get each shot I wanted instantly I had to change the shutter speed to accomodate for the speed of each ride as childrens rides go considerably slower than adult rides. When tkaing one particular shot that focused on a landscape of three rides including tow childrens rides and one fast adult ride I had to time the shot well to get the images I desired which took more time than I had planned for.

When I was finished collectig the images and sound I started to hit a wall as I was not sure how I wanted to put the project together. I started to lose interest in my work but continued to research the techniques I had been using as I as searching for a way of presenting my images. I started to focus on what you could do with light to create more interesting affects. I wanted to incorporate this into another idea.

After a visit to Warwick Castle half way through the two weeks I started to formulate another idea and when discussing this with my seminar leader I was encourage to follow this line of work and research. I wanted to try using light to use the painting with light technique to create interesting visual affects with a pumpkin. I had recently been inspired by theories and writings from Guy DeBour and David Foster Wallace so i decided to explore a project involving stop motion animation with visual affects usig painting with light.

I made a plan of action including storyboarding, shooting and using a programme to compile the work, but I did not get as far as quickly as I was hoping. The weather, illness and family life prevented me from doing everything I wanted to do in a short time scale. I started to experiement with a pumpkin and painting with light but ended up getting carried away with different technical affects, so much so that I did not actually manage to compile a working stop motion animation. I also did not manage to decided on sound or a linear story line on papaer, just what was in my head.

The following images are example of the experiements I have been doing with the pumpkin but nothing is completely finished yet, to my disapointment.

Using an LED candel I placed the pumpkin in my backgarden to see what kind of lighting affect it would have.

Using an LED candel I placed the pumpkin in my backgarden to see what kind of lighting affect it would have.

 

I then used a glow stick to try and get a different visual affect with the light using a slow shutter speed.

I then used a glow stick to try and get a different visual affect with the light using a slow shutter speed.

 

I then combined a stable light source with the visual affect of the moving glow stick to see what affect I got, we tried this a number of times.

I then combined a stable light source with the visual affect of the moving glow stick to see what affect I got, we tried this a number of times.

 

With the help of a friend we then decided to try and affect the exposure of the light by moving our hands in and out of the light to create a broken afect with the light to simulate flames.

With the help of a friend we then decided to try and affect the exposure of the light by moving our hands in and out of the light to create a broken afect with the light to simulate flames.

 

We even tried using a blow tourch to create different affects it did not turn out as we had hoped.

We even tried using a blow tourch to create different affects it did not turn out as we had hoped.

Advertisements



Delicious

Blog Archives

Twitter

Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.

Flickr Photos